1. Why is Germany best study destination for me to study abroad?

Well, German universities are among the top ranking in the world right below a few of the prestigious British universities and the American Ivy League. You’ll be having a formal degree which would be recognized all over the world.

Obviously, such standard of education is provided to local and international students at zero tuition fee or at the very nominal fee at the most state or public funded universities.

A wide range of programs are available in the English language at Master degree level and also for most Bachelor Programs.

Most importantly, the guiding principle of the German higher education is ‘The Unity of Teaching and Research’ and there is a strong emphasis on hands-on involvement on the part of the student and ‘apprenticeship’, in both the practical application of a large part of what gets learned through researching novel ways of problem-solving and theoretically (at ‘Fachhochschulen’ and at many other universities, access to cutting-edge research facilities is available).

Finally, Germany is a country and culture with great importance all over the world, so almost every international student stands to boon greatly from familiarity with it.

  1. In order to get enrolled in a study program that is taught entirely in English, is it mandatory to have passed IELTS or TOEFL by the international students?

Yes, you need IELTS or TOEFL to apply for a program at a German university that is entirely taught in English. But in case, you already hold a Bachelors degree with English as the medium of instruction and you’re applying for a postgraduate program, then you may not need IELTS or TOEFL; however, these tests are strongly recommended to ensure admission and successful visa.

  1. Can I study in Germany while being taught in English?

There are a lot of International Degree Courses which are taught in English. For those students whose command of the German language isn’t good enough, they can opt to study in German after doing German language programs in Germany or at home country. Times Consultant is also one of Pakistan’s prestigious centres to provide German language classes in all major cities of Pakistan.

  1. If I have applied for a study program which will be taught entirely in English, then do I still need to come up with a proof of sufficient German language skills in order to be issued a visa?

No, it is not mandatory for you to know the German language if the exclusive language of instruction will be English; however, it is for your own good to have a little knowledge of German because it will take you a long way in your everyday life as a student.

  1. How many levels of German Language I may study in Pakistan before going Germany when I am aiming to study my degree in the German Language?

As for such student, it is not about passing any level but to understand the German language with such a proficiency that student may understand all lectures and may prepare all assignments in the German language. It is there obviously better to stay in Germany for a maximum duration of time to understand the accent of German and to use it in a more proficient way.

An example can be given as for those students who have completed all education in Pakistan in English language and reluctant to appear in IELTS without months of preparation you may also have a certificate of German language but may not able to use it with such a command so overall performance in the degree program may get affected.

  1. What is meant by the International Degree Courses?

International Degree Courses are such courses which have been introduced by institutions of higher education in Germany with the sole purpose of facilitating the process in such a way that the international student understands their educational objectives in Germany. Initially, the medium of instruction is English, but gradually the usage of German language increases.

These courses are available to both the international as well as German students. The courses have been designed with an express aim, to high academic standards, which covers both undergraduate and postgraduate degree programmes; 6 to 8 semesters results with a Bachelors degree while 3 to 5 semester’s results with a Masters degree and in some courses, 6 additional semesters lead to a PhD.

  1. What is ‘Studienkolleg’ exactly?

It is basically a one-year preparatory course, five days a week, which is joined by those students whose school leaving diploma is regarded insufficient to apply for a degree program, but they wish to study at a German higher education institution.

The course covers German language and full-time education, particularly in the subjects of a degree program.  You can qualify to apply for a degree program at any German university on the basis of your preference by getting a passing score on the final Assessment Examination.

  1. In order to attend a ‘Studienkolleg, what level of knowledge of the German language do I need?

To attend a ‘Studienkolleg, your German language skills are required to be at the B1 level (proof thereof is needed), which is considered an equivalent of almost 600 hours.

  1. What are the “Fachhochschulen,” (FH) and how they are different from a University?

Fachhochschulen (FH) or University of Applied Sciences (UAS), which offers specialisation in topical areas (e.g. business, engineering or technology), is different from a university because ‘Fachhochschulen’ do not award PhD titles. However, it offers Bachelors and Masters degrees just like other universities. In order to earn a Ph.D., one has to attend a postgraduate course at a university.

UAS or FH is suitable for those candidates who do not want to pursue an academic career, rather they are interested in the acquisition of practical experience as much as possible.

  1. Is there free access to libraries and computer facilities at German universities?

Most of the higher education institutions in Germany provide Internet access and email accounts for their students. Furthermore, the students who are there to study in Germany, are not required to buy a lot of reading materials on their own for the sake of their study courses, the reason being is that German universities have well-stocked libraries and archives that supply plenty of the titles that are mandatory reading for students.

  1. Are there deadlines for direct enrollment?

Normally, each year summer semester begins on April 1, the entrance application have to be submitted by January 15 and for the winter semester begins on October 1, so applications needed to be submitted by July 15. However earlier you apply, better the admission chances you will have in good universities.

  1. Who does the recognition and assessment of foreign earned degrees in Germany?

It is the responsibility of universities to assess degrees and academic credits for admission purposes. In assessing foreign higher education degrees and qualifications, the provision of recommendations that are country-specific is assisted by the Central Office for Foreign Education (ZAB) of the Conference of German Ministers of Education and Cultural Affairs (KMK).

  1. What are good places, other than universities, to apply for a scholarship if I want to study in Germany?

German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) and German Research Foundation are some good places to start out when looking for scholarships. Because apart from offering scholarship programs they also give valuable advice on almost everything related to studying in Germany.

  1. Is it allowed to work while studying in Germany?

A student who is studying full-time in Germany is actually legally allowed to work a maximum of 120 full (or 240 half) days within a year, for which permission from German employment authorities is not required.

  1. As a foreigner, can I do a “Dual Stadium”?

Most of the universities in Germany offer “Duals Stadium”. Which makes it possible for the students to learn and practice what they have learned at the same time; they study theory at a traditional university and practice what they have learned at companies who are a partner with the university or a program, at the same time.

As a foreigner, you will most likely to work only 120 days out of the year. But as long as this is in agreement with your university’s program, you can actively participate in the highly successful Dual Stadium program.

  1. Can my husband/spouse who will accompany me in Germany work too?

Husbands/ spouses who are accompanying foreign students may be permitted to work under certain conditions.

  1. Would it be possible for me to bring my spouse and children to Germany while I am studying over there?

The family reunification is possible in case if you have a residence permit in Germany and the expected duration of your stay is longer than one year. However, you have to be able to support them, in order for them to join you in Germany without burdening social assistance in any way. Times Consultant does not recommend such reunifications as sole moto of a student should be focusing on his study.

  1. Will I be liable to pay taxes in Germany?

If your stay at Germany doesn’t exceed six months or/and if you haven’t earned more than €450 per month working in Germany, then you are exempt from having to pay taxes.  And if your annual gross income is less than €8,130 then at the end of the year you will get all the taxes you paid refunded back to you when you file your tax return with tax authorities.

  1. Do I have to open a German bank account?

In Germany, if you want to apply for insurance or if you are going to rent a flat then you have to provide the bank details by which they would be able to debit the money because paying it in cash is not possible. Therefore, it is recommended to open a German bank account. You can also use a credit card if you have one but cash cards are more common. Times Consultant can help you for such services.

  1. What about the validity of my driver’s license in Germany?

The validity is limited to six months in the case of foreign driver’s license. If you claim residence in Germany as a full-time student, then still after six months your driver’s license will expire. In order to drive legally in this scenario, you have to transfer your license. It depends on the country of issuance of your driver’s license, that whether you will be required to undergo the theoretical and driving tests administered by driving schools, for the transferring of your license, or not.

  1. Am I required to get a student visa to study in Germany?

Being a student of Pakistan, or as non-EU citizen student, you are required to apply for a visa to study in Germany in advance of planned departure for Germany through a foreign educational consultant like or at your own at the German embassy or consulate general in your country.

  1. What sort of documents is required when I apply for a student visa?

We will provide a detailed checklist of documents being demanded these days by the embassy and will explain about right documentation being expert foreign education consultant having Pakistan’s oldest for helping students for Germany visa process.

You can also inquire at the consulate general or German embassy.

Normally following documents need to be submitted so you have to arrange them in a timely manner:

  • Valid passport
  • Proof of your previous studies.
  • Proof of admission from your university.
  • Proof of your health insurance coverage.
  • Proof of possessing enough financial resources ( currently €8640)
  • Proof of your German language skills if much of your study is in the German language (or proof of your plans to attend a language course while in Germany).
  1. Do I have to send all of my original/certified documents along with the application or can they be copies instead?

Well, you have to send certified documents or certain additional documents, however, such as the proof of internship, etc. are exempt from that rule.

  1. In order to obtain a student visa, do I need some kind of financial proof other than the proof of getting admission from a German university?

In order to apply for a visa, if you do not have a full scholarship then embassy will ask for additional proof depending on your country of nationality. Ask Times Consultant for the latest financial requirement as it may vary for different provinces of Pakistan. Like student from Punjab and KPK may be asked to provide additional evidence of their financial capacity beside €8640.

  1. Do Germany Embassy interview student to issue the visa?


Yes, German Embassy may ask you some questions in English or in German after determining your language of instruction and level of language proficiency and questions are normally to ensure your genuineness to study in Germany. Times Consultant can help you to understand about such mock interview sessions.

  1. What if my student visa for Germany is refused?


Times Consultant can help you regarding this matter to guide you either you may reapply or lodge an appeal against the embassy decision.

  1. What are chances to get a student visa for Germany?

Normally, if you have a suitable qualification to gain admission in an acceptable program and demonstrate your genuine intention to study in Germany and have access to substantial finances then you will get a visa as for visa officer it is not major concern to understand about the availability of money next year tuition fee and living expense. This is because you will be allowed to work during study and there may not be any significant fee you have to bear for studying in Germany.

  1. What is initial visa duration for students from Pakistan?

Normally from Pakistan, a student gets an extendable six-month visa from the embassy.

  1. Once I complete my studies at a German higher education institution, the reason of the issuance of my student visa ceases to exit , do I have to leave the country immediately?

It is not necessary for you to leave the country immediately if you don’t want to. You can extend your study visa for further education or work.

  1. How can I be able to get the residence permit after student visa upon reaching Germany?

In order to stay for a longer period, you have to get a residence permit from foreign office, which is the responsible authority. In order to get a residence permit, one has to have a certificate of the enrollment from the university, registration from the authorities, valid health insurance contract and a proof of financing.

  1. Can an Intermediate from Pakistan is directly eligible for Bachelor programs in state funded universities with zero tuition fee?

It is not possible and the student has to undergo a  ‘Feststellungsprüfung’ assessment examination, after attending a Studienkolleg (preparatory course). This qualification “Studienkolleg” is offered free of cost at state universities but the student can also study at private institutions if not qualifying to study this program at universities due to the prior academic background or comparatively weak German proficiency. For more details consult Times Consultant to guide you about these qualifications.

  1. Have I seen some universities are asking for tuition fees in Germany? Should I pay?

If some university is asking for a tuition fee it will be comparatively low as compare to other developed countries. Also, the higher education institutions in only two out of the 16 federal states (Lower Saxony and Bavaria) were charging tuition fees of up to €500 per semester. But in October 2014, Germany decided to waive tuition fees in all the 16 provinces thus making higher education literally free of charge.

However, for Postgraduate courses (Master’s and PhD), one has to pay some extra costs, varying between €650 and a few thousand Euros per semester; it is advised by many foreign education consultants that the prospective foreign graduate students should do their due diligence.

  1. Are there any age restrictions to apply for postgraduate level study programs (Masters and PhD) in Germany?

No, there are no restrictions set on age for the candidates who want to study in Germany in the post graduate programmes. However, for the visa we need to understand there must be a valid reason to study in Germany at a certain age after some large gap in studies.

  1. What is the typical path to a PhD in Germany?

It is similar to other developed countries like New Zealand, Australia, UK or Canada that if the current degree of the candidate qualifies him/her for a doctorial program then after selecting the studying area, the candidate needs to find an academic supervisor/mentor (“Doktorvater” or “Doktormutter” in German), to guide the candidate throughout his/her research phase.

In order to find an academic supervisor, one can find different ways such as; online research of various scientific publications or through personal contacts of your professors which they may have in Germany.

After finding an academic supervisor successfully, the candidate has to get enrolled in a university program for several semesters to gain scientific experience and to work as an assistant, while researching and writing the dissertation.

  1. How can German universities determine equivalency of my higher education in Pakistan (like MPhil qualification) for admission in PhD Programmes?

For getting admitted for PhD in Germany, you need to hold a university degree and that should be equivalent to a degree gained at a German university. Equivalency of the degree is decided by the university in question and it is recommended for you to contact your chosen institute through the help of a foreign consultant or directly.

If you are willing to find more information about this then follow the link http://www.hochschulkompass.de/en/doctoral-studies.html.

  1. How to find out that my school-leaving qualification will be recognized?

In order to find that whether or not you are eligible for direct university entrance on the basis of your qualification and its reorganization, you have to enter your homeland and the qualification that you have obtained on the Anabin website (only in German). By doing so you will get a detailed explanation about the adequacy of your qualification.

  1. What is the basic admission/enrollment criteria at any German university and for other higher education institutions?

As a foreign student, you need to apply well in advance at the International Students Office directly or through some expert education counselors in order to consider your application.

Normally with the help of your previous academic record it is determined that whether it meets all admission requirements or not; At this stage you will need to produce proof of completion of secondary education (e.g. ‘Matura,’ high school diploma, ‘A-Levels,’ or proof of having passed a university entrance examination, if proof is required in your country) and that is an equivalent of Arbiter.

  1. How are German Universities ranked?

Each year, Germany’s most comprehensive ranking of higher education institutions is published by the Center for Higher Education Development (CHE). A detailed and differentiated view of the strengths and weaknesses of German higher education by subject areas is provided by the help of this multidimensional ranking, which uses up to 40 different indicators. This is further complemented by a research ranking which is published in every fall to provide information on the research contribution of German higher education institutions.

  1. Am I required to open a German bank account?

In Germany, if you want to apply for insurance or if you are going to rent a flat then you have to provide the bank details by which they would be able to debit the money because paying it in cash is not possible. Therefore, it is recommended to open a German bank account. You can also use a credit card if you have one but cash cards are more common.

  1. What kind of insurance do I need exactly to matriculate at a university?

There are two kinds of health insurances in Germany, the private and the public insurance. It is not possible for you to study at a university without insurance. Until your 14th term of study or up to the age of 30 years you normally have to be insured by a public insurance company. But if you would like to be insured with a private insurance then you may exempt yourself from the public insurance company. And for getting this kind of exemption you will need to go directly to the public insurance company before your enrollment at the University.

It is much worthy to notice here that, if you exempt yourself from the public insurance company then you won’t be able to be insured by them again, as long as you are a student.

  1. What do I need to do to find myself a residence in Germany?

If you want to have an apartment or a room in the student accommodation, you would have to contact your local Studentenwerk directly. You can also find the offers of accommodation, furnishing and the information on the prices on their website. The offers are ranged from simple rooms to flats for couples and even for students with children and students with disabilities.

  1. What facilities are normally provided at furnished residences?

The furnished rooms are equipped with a bed, a writing desk, shelving and a wardrobe. But the things like blankets, pillows,     bedding and towels are not provided. But this can be easily bought or rented as well. If you still can’t manage to get a flat after your arrival in Germany, then you are recommended to go to the Studentwerk, because they have an emergency accommodation available at the beginning of term generally.

  1. Will it be easy for me to travel around the country in Germany?

It is quite easy. Due to its outstanding public transportation network, you don’t need a car to get around in Germany, as driving on German autobahns is sheer pleasure. Moreover, the ICE high-speed trains, the suburban S-Bahn network, Deutsche Bahn AG, tram and subway lines cover together with the entire territory of Germany.

Taxi and bus services are also readily available. And for those who enjoy cycling, special cycling lanes and suitable places for parking are easily available. Domestic flights between all major cities are also increasingly being used.

  1. During my studies, where will I live?

Most German universities, unfortunately, do not offer accommodation to enrolling students. So, it’s all up to you to find accommodation for yourself. Since there is little to no tuition fees in Germany, therefore, rent is likely to be your biggest monthly expense, and variation in the amount of rent will depend majorly on which part of the country you live in. In student-oriented smaller cities such as Freiburg and Heidelberg and also in big cities within Western Germany (i.e. Cologne, Dusseldorf etc), you should expect to pay slightly more than if you were living in eastern Germany (i.e. Berlin).

  1. What is normally accommodation cost for a student in Germany?

When looking for accommodation in Germany, unshared apartment is the most expensive choice, so you should rather consider shared accommodation, student residences, or an apartment. This will generally cost in the range of about €350-400 (~US$300-340) a month. Shared accommodation would be cheaper at around €250-300 (~US$210-250) a month, while student residences are cheaper yet again at around €200-250 (~US$170-210) a month.

  1. What if I am struggling to find accommodation?

Times Consultant may give you student’s references sent through Times and are already livings in Germany and live closer to your University.  Otherwise for some temporary arrangement to cover your first few days or weeks in the country, an emergency housing may be provided by the university or you could try couch-surfing, staying in a hostel, B&B or hotel.

  1. I’ve already studied a few semesters in my home country and now I’d like to continue studying in Germany. Will the German university recognize my previous degree/ credits in its degree program?

Each German university is responsible for determining its own admission policies. That’s why you should ask the International Office at the German university of your choice whether you fulfill all the requirements for admission and how much of your previous academic work will be recognized. You can also discuss such queries about your individual qualification with Times Consultant.

  1. what is more suitable for a student to apply directly to German universities or using education consultants?

A student may be applying for the first time or will be taking the advice of some seniors who may have a different academic profile. A number of applications submitted at German universities are also increasing day by day so Times Consultant with having experience of over decade and placement of hundreds of students every year will count to pick best universities matching your profile and by processing application in very professional way. Even working on your SOP by our experts may increase your admission chance in the same university.

  1. Why may I study German language course at Times Consultant as compare to doing it at some other institute?

Best advantage Times Consultant provides is the availability of similar or even more qualified German Language teachers but those will be available full time to help you, unlike any other centre which will be just aiming to cover the course in any certain period of time. We provide student full flexibility to meet student needs and ability to understand a new language. In case the student is not able to appear in an exam or could not pass it due to any reason then still a student will be allowed to repeat his German language course without charging him any extra fee.

  1. What are my chances of immigration in Germany upon graduation?

Yes is it possible? Please visit this link to see more detail about opportunities of Immigration upon graduation in Germany.